Why Dental Implants?
Dental implants can replace missing teeth and allow patients to lead the full, active lives they deserve. The practice of implant dentistry has many people interested because of the benefits they offer. Dr. McIntyre and his staff have significant dental implant experience.
What are the benefits of a dental implant?
Implant dentistry has come so far and has solved so many of the problems people have had with missing teeth. Some common benefits of implant dentistry our patients experience are:
- Functionality- Once your dental implant is placed, you most likely will forget it isn’t your real tooth. You can laugh, talk, chew, and eat just like normal. In fact, if the tooth has been missing for a while, you may find that your mouth works better than before.
- Aesthetics- Our doctors will place tooth implants that look like real teeth, the same color as your natural teeth. You can smile with confidence, and may even want to smile more often!
- Durability- A tooth implant is exceedingly strong. Though you know it’s a tooth implant, it is durable. It’s like a brand new tooth, right where your old tooth used to be.
What is the procedure for a dental implant?
- First, your original or natural tooth root must be removed if this has not already been done. This will provide the space for a tooth implant to be placed.
- Next, the dental implant is actually placed. The implant is situated in the same spot the original tooth root was located.
- It takes 3-6 months for the tooth implant to completely heal. During this time, the tooth implant undergoes “Osseo Integration” with your jawbone. The titanium alloy dental implants we use literally “fuse” with your bone, are remarkably strong and provide a sturdy foundation on which our tooth implant doctors attach a crown, bridge or denture.
- After the healing period, an abutment is attached to the dental implant which the crown, bridge or denture is directly attached to.